The San Isidro Labrador Parish convent was patterned after the “balay na bato,” a residential style introduced by the Spaniards in the Philippines.
Fr. Toribio Sanchez, who took over as Lazi parish priest in 1882, laid in 1887 the cornerstone for what later became the largest convent in the country and throughout Asia.
Construction of the Lazi convent happened less than five years after its church was erected. Lazi became a parish independent from Siquijor and dedicated to San Isidro Labraror in 1857.
Typical of Spanish architecture of the period, the convent had walls of huge coral stone slabs at the first level. This gave way to hardwood panels and wood stubs in the second level.
When it was completed in 1891, it served as the summer house of Augustinian Recollects assigned in the region.
The convent measures 42 by 38 meters and houses the Siquijor Heritage Museum. Inside are religious artifacts and historical displays.