Built through the benefice of the King of Spain, the Inmaculada Concepcion Parish Church in Oslob took around 17 years to finish.
Proof of this is a relief of the Spanish monarch’s seal on the church pediment encircled by text stating that “His Excellency and Most Illustrious Lord Santos Gomes Marañon made the plan for this Church which was began on the 10th of May in the year 1830.”
The construction was deemed finished after 17 years of labor on September 15, 1847.
Visita of Carcar
Oslob was once a visita of Sialo, the old name of Valladolid, Carcar, and it was one of eight created during the Augustinian Definitory of 1599, according to the book Balaanong Bahandi on the Sacred Treasures of the Archdiocese of Cebu.
It was later placed under the care of Boljoon when the latter was created as a parish separate from Carcar during the Augustinian Congress of October 31, 1690.
As a visita, Oslob was administered by priests of Boljoon. When it became a parish in 1848, Fr. Juan de Aragones was named as its first priest.
Stone and mortar church
Historian Felipe Redondo described the Oslob Church in Breve Reseña, a book published in 1886, as a structure of stone and mortar construction with tile roof. “There also used to be paintings on the ceiling of the church made by a certain Bernardino Candelario, a Tagalog who also painted the San Agustin Church in Manila,” added the Balaanong Bahandi.
Unfortunately, the Inmaculada Concepcion Parish Church has experienced one disaster after another through the years.